Thursday, October 11, 2007

John


I met John this past weekend during Bethlehem, PA's first Harvest Festival on Main Street. My wife and I were walking down the hill towards the area where the outdoor bands play. I spotted John sitting in a chair - thin, smoking, tired - with a broken brick-stucco wall as his backdrop. I instantly felt the sadness of the scene. Here sits this man, beaten, weathered, alone, taking the time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. I shot an image and he instantly sensed me. He looked toward me and I snapped again (not my best shot, but you get the picture). His smile welcomed me.


I walked over and introduced myself. He told me his name was John. I explained I was a photographer and love to be outdoors with people for candid moments. I told him he was very photogenic. He welcomed me to have a seat next to him and feel free to shoot. After speaking for a while, I learned that he has been through a long and hard journey and felt tired and beaten. I learned that he battles his demons one day at a time and feels alone a lot. He told me a story of a man who took advantage of him and that brought up anger for me. He spoke about it like it was an every day occurrence for him and that brought me sadness. Here sits this quiet man, struggling through life and arrogant son of a beeps take advantage of him. ~ take a breath.

In my attempt to break the silence, I asked him to smile for me. His first attempt, he kept his mouth closed - for obvious reasons - and that didn't seem to fit his soul. I said to him "show me some teeth". He started cracking up and broke out this huge smile. I laughed, he laughed, it was warm and kind. The band started playing shortly after and we sat and listened to some John Mellencamp and J. Geils Band tunes. I dug in my pockets and found a couple bucks to offer to John. He saw that it was pure and gently removed the money from my hands and placed it in his. I don't think I'll ever forget the look of appreciation he gave me...correction, I hope I always remember! What a great man - what a great time! Thanks John!

Thanks John!

2 comments:

scottnichol said...

wonderful series of images greg! enjoyed reading the essay that came along with it.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.